Finally the much awaited version of the most popular blogging software has arrived. WordPress 3.0 release has been just announced. WordPress 3.0 is the result of six months of work from a total of 218 different contributors who have contributed for 1,217 bug fixes and feature enhancement. WordPress MU, the multi-user version of WordPress is now merged to main WordPress code base. This will now allows any WordPress user to host multiple blogs with single instance of WordPress.
Also with the 3.0 release, wordpress has bid adieu to its default theme Kubrick. A new theme called Twenty Ten has now taken its place.
- New default theme called Twenty Ten.
- Theme developers have new APIs that allow them to easily implement custom backgrounds, headers, shortlinks, menus (no more file editing), post types, and taxonomies.
- Merging of MU and WordPress, creating the new multi-site functionality which makes it possible to run one blog or ten million from the same installation.
- New lighter interface, the contextual help on every screen, the 1,217 bug fixes and feature enhancements.
- Bulk updates so you can upgrade 15 plugins at once with a single click.
Watch the video from WordPress official team.
Official blog: wordpress.org